Sunday 31 January 2010

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

I absolutely love this book, this about the millionth time I have read it because I love it so much!
This is the second book in the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. My copies of Inkheart and Inkspell are very battered because I have read them so many times! My copy of Inkheart has it's covers almost completely falling off.

This book is set in the Inkworld as Meggie calls it. The Inkworld is the world inside of the Inkheart book written by Fenolgio. This is the world where Dustfinger, Capricorn and Basta came from, if you haven't read or seen Inkheart these are important characters. Dustfinger is good but very cowardly, Capricorn is an evil character who has Meggie (the main character) and her father Mo captured. Basta is Capricorn's faithful henchman and has lived with Capricorn since he was young.

Her father is one of the Silvertounge's and is able to read characters out of their stories, this is what he does ten years before Inkheart is set when he reads out Dustfinger, Capricorn and Basta. For everyone that comes out of the book some-one has to go in so Meggie's mother - Resa is trapped in the Inkworld.

In Inkspell Meggie reads herself and Farid (also from Inkheart) into the Inkworld and her father gets read in as well. Things start to go wrong as the Laughing Prince's son has died and he doesn't care about much anymore. The Adderhead who is the bad Prince is getting more and more powerful.

Things start to go wrong as Meggie's father is suspected to be a robber who the Adderhead is determined to kill. Dustfinger is meant to die at the end of the original book Inkheart so he is always scared that he will die.

This a great book and I would recommend it to anyone. I loved all 675 pages of it. I also recommend that you read Inkheart so you fully understand Inkspell. This book ends with such a sad ending that you want to read Inkdeath the last book in the trilogy.

I would give this book a definite 10 out of 10 because I really enjoyed it and every word had me hooked.

1 comment:

  1. Firstly what a great idea for a blog!
    Although I am an adult (my youngest child is 14) I have always enjoyed children's literature too. My niece recommended this trilogy to me but I haven't got the first book in the series - I shall remedy that this week!
    My son (14) & niece (also 14) both like the author Sophie McKenzie - just another suggestion for you!
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete