Tuesday 17 May 2011

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't blogged in months but I am bogged down with schoolwork, exams and GCSE preparation as well as other things! I am going to set myself the challenge of updating the blogs more often, sorry if it doesn't go to plan!

This post will be dedicated to the amazing book, Rebecca, which I have recently just read for the second time. It is described as a "suspenseful romance" and I can easily see why it is Daphne Du Maurier's bestseller.
Rebecca tells the story of the young, shy woman who marries Maxim de Winter, a man well above her station. The main character is always referred to as Mrs de Winter, we never find out her real name, and in my opinion I believe that this adds more suspense to the novel.

Maxim de Winter had already been married to charming, beautiful Rebecca who tragically died of drowning in a sailing accident a year before the book was set. The new Mrs de Winter moves to Manderly with her husband and throughout the novel she feels that Rebecca's shadow is always looming over her life. Mrs de Winter feels that Rebecca was perfect; the servants loved her, people adored her, Maxim de Winter still loved Rebecca not his new wife.

The main character feels in awe of Rebecca but was she all what everybody thought she was? Can the new Mrs de Winter find out the truth? And does Mrs Danvers (one of the servants) really hate the master's new wife and if she does why is that?

This is a tremendous book, it was the second time that I read it and I still loved it just as much as the first. It was a beautiful, suspenseful, almost evil novel, written in an amazing way. I would definitely recommend this to anyone above 12. I give it a ten out of ten!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourites too Dot. Hope all the schoolwork and exams go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've persuaded me to read it! ;o) xxx

    ReplyDelete